A philosophical conundrum ...


In an earlier post, I alluded to George Orwell’s dystopian novel, 1984.  I now find myself thinking about his political satire Animal Farm, and particularly the memorable phrase

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.” 

I think the same must apply to weeds.

There is no doubt that a wattle tree in full bloom is a thing of great beauty. The gold flowers against the green foliage provide the inspiration for the national colours of Australia’s sporting teams. However, wattles can rapidly become an invasive weed because they are good at colonising cleared vacant land. They grow quickly and compete aggressively with other native plants. This situation has transpired in our gully, where there is currently an infestation of silver wattles.

Cath and I have a difference of opinion on what to do. I favour reducing the wattles to mulch and using it to improve the soil in the paddocks. Cath thinks the trees are worth preserving. Of particular note is the specimen shown in the photo. Now I will concede the point that, as wattles go, it is a fine specimen, but it is nonetheless a weed and one which obstructs the northern view up the Huon Valley. I am convinced it should go, Cath is equally convinced it should stay. 

My philosophical question is quite straightforward: how can you defend attacking thistles with a flamethrower while protecting other weeds which just happen to be trees? Clearly some weeds must be more equal than others. Then yesterday, what should show up but a majestic white-breasted sea eagle, which made two circles of said wattle. I thought it was a beautiful sight, but Cath read more into the visitation, claiming it was a “sign”.

Of course I could wait until the weekend when Cath heads off up north to visit her Mum and I remain here with Pepper. A quick pull on the cord and the Stihl MS362 Professional will make short work of a silver wattle. On reflection, however, this course of action might lead to me ending up as the protagonist in yet another Orwell tale – Down and Out in Paris and London. Perhaps I will just shelve Orwell and my philosophical objections, become a pragmatist and continue to help Cath dismantling fences instead …



Comments

  1. The solution is simple. Say you'll build her a small cabin there, of clay and wattles made and she'll be firing up the Stihl in no time. A man must know when to read Yeats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Careful you don't end up as Snowball.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts